Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Divorce Attorney > Blog > Family > My Ex Is Gambling Our Life Savings Away After A Divorce. What Can I Do?

My Ex Is Gambling Our Life Savings Away After A Divorce. What Can I Do?


People can react to divorce in different ways. Some take it reasonably well, accepting that the marriage is over and moving forward as best they can. Some become violent. Others remain in a state of denial, desperately trying to keep the marriage going despite its obvious conclusion. And some… well, some just get a little crazy. And one of the craziest things you can do during a divorce is purposely throw away the family’s life savings. If you’re experiencing this firsthand, it’s anything but funny. You may be depending on that money to start anew. So what can you do to protect your future? 

 Why Do Spouses Do This?  

Spouses may gamble away the family fortune for a number of reasons. Some suffer from legitimate gambling addictions – and this might be the very reason you filed for divorce in the first place. Some might take these actions out of spite, trying their best to prevent you from getting your hands on the money – even if it means they also walk away penniless. Some simply become desperate at the prospect of an ending marriage, and this change in their lives may cause them to do some truly insane things.  

 Willful Dissipation of Assets is Illegal   

In Georgia, this behavior is known as “dissipation of assets.” This is when spouses intentionally engage in financial, often self-destructive financial conduct after the divorce. This is also sometimes referred to as “marital waste.” According to Georgia law, this is an example of marital misconduct. Spouses may experience severe consequences for engaging in this behavior. It’s important to be informed and knowledgeable about your marital finances, regardless of whose name they are held in. That being said, you must act quickly if you detect this activity – otherwise your family fortune may vanish before you have a chance to do anything about it.  

 How to Take Legal Action  

Once you get in touch with a lawyer, you can file a motion with the family court to claim dissipation. The sooner the better. If you wait too long, you may lose the ability to hold your spouse accountable for gambling away the family fortune. If you act quickly, you may be able to freeze your spouse’s access to joint accounts and protect marital funds from future dissipation. If you can prove that funds were dissipated, you may also receive a greater share of the remaining funds. This may require asset tracing, and you may need to get help from forensic accountants.  

 Where Can I Find a Qualified, Experienced Family Law Attorney in Atlanta?  

If you’ve been searching for a qualified, experienced Atlanta family law attorney, look no further than Kaye, Lembeck, Hitt & French. Over the years, we have helped numerous divorcing spouses in Georgia, and we know full well how badly some spouses can react to the prospect of an ending marriage. With our help, you can take immediate legal action to prevent the dissipation of marital funds. We’ll help you protect your post-divorce financial future. Get in touch today to get started with an effective action plan.  




Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
MileMark Media

© 2021 - 2024 Kaye, Lembeck, Hitt & French Family Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.