Atlanta Foreign Investments Attorney
The landscape of Family Law is ever-evolving, and nowhere is this more apparent than in the realm of asset division. With globalization making the world a smaller place, it’s not uncommon for Atlanta residents to hold foreign investments. Protecting these assets, especially during legal procedures like divorce, demands specialized legal expertise. Our Atlanta foreign investments attorney at Kaye, Lembeck, Hitt & French can be your guiding force in navigating this intricate landscape.
Understanding Foreign Investments
Foreign investments refer to capital invested in business ventures, real estate, or financial markets in countries other than your own. These can include owning a part of a company overseas, purchasing foreign real estate, or having bank accounts in other countries
Protecting Your Foreign Investments
Protecting your foreign investments, particularly in the context of Family Law cases, demands a multi-layered approach:
- Full disclosure: In Georgia, hiding assets is illegal. Make sure all your foreign investments are transparent and declared.
- Financial planning: Consider using trusts and business entities to hold assets.
- Prenuptial/postnuptial agreements: Clearly outline the ownership and division rules for foreign investments in these legal documents.
- Legal counsel: Consult an Atlanta Foreign Investments Attorney to devise the best strategy for your particular circumstances.
In Atlanta, as part of the State of Georgia, foreign investments acquired during the marriage are generally considered marital property, subject to equitable distribution. However, anything acquired before the marriage or through inheritance could be classified as separate property and may not be subject to division.
How We Can Help
Our foreign investment attorneys specialize in understanding both domestic and foreign laws related to asset division. We collaborate with experts in foreign jurisdictions and work closely with financial advisors to protect your global investments.
Reasons to work with our foreign investments attorneys:
- Complexity: Foreign investments often involve complicated laws and tax regulations.
- Asset protection: To protect the value and integrity of your foreign investments.
- Legal compliance: To ensure that you comply with both U.S. and foreign laws.
- Stress reduction: Handling legal proceedings can be overwhelming; an attorney eases this burden.
What to have prepared before a meeting with one of our attorneys:
- Investment documents: Any documentation related to your foreign investments like property deeds, share certificates, or bank statements.
- Tax records: Recent tax returns and any other tax documents related to your foreign assets.
- Legal agreements: Prenuptial or postnuptial agreements, if applicable.
- Questions: Prepare a list of concerns or questions you may have about your foreign investments and their safety..
Contact Kaye, Lembeck, Hitt & French – Atlanta Attorneys Specializing in Foreign Investments
In an interconnected world, foreign investments are increasingly becoming a focal point in Family Law proceedings. Atlanta residents with such global portfolios must take precautionary steps to safeguard their assets, particularly when divorce or separation looms on the horizon. For such complex tasks, the specialized skills of our Atlanta foreign investments attorney at Kaye, Lembeck, Hitt & French becomes essential. If you find yourself in such a situation, consult with us today for assistance.